“Developing Publications for the Dissemination of Efforts that Broaden Participation in STEM”
June 10-12, 2022
Chauncey Hotel & Conference Center
Princeton, New Jersey
This workshop aims to support the publication of outcomes that showcase broadening participation efforts that cultivate STEM talent within underrepresented communities. The workshop is of interest to those practitioners and scholars wishing to publish efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM pathways. Participants will receive individualized support for crafting their manuscript, be introduced to select frameworks relevant to broadening participation efforts and share initiatives and outcomes of efforts developed at their institutions. The workshop will feature a group coaching session that will assist participants:
- Craft an introduction that views target demographics through an asset-based lens.
- Determine how to best present existing data and if additional data is needed to craft a compelling manuscript.
- Characterize the limits of their data.
- Develop conclusions that are descriptive, prescriptive, and translational.
- Refine publication ideas.
- Identify outlets for publication.
The workshop seeks to develop leaders in broadening participation by providing the tools needed to publicize work done through STEM interventions at institutions across the nation. It is envisioned that expanding the capacity of individuals to disseminate their outcomes will advance efforts to increase gender, racial, and anti-ableist equity in STEM while building a platform for the intellectual contributions of individuals who identify as an underrepresented group in STEM.